Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Trauma of Buying a New Phone!

Today is a day that most Americans have faced but nobody really talks about. The new cell phone purchase. We are inundated with terms like 4-G, 3-G, Android, IPhone and endless other technical terms that had my mind swimming, by the time I arrived at the phone stores. My first stop was Verizon and was immediately greeted by a very pleasant young lady. She asked about my phone usage and when I told her I had a Motorola Razor phone she remained composed on the outside, but I am sure that in her mind she wondered if I had parked my horse and buggy at the far side of the building. Armed with a array of phone prices and plans I headed for AT&T. We have been with them for 12 years and I felt I should at least hear what they had to say.  I was met by a very pleasant gentleman. This time to avoid the humiliation of my razor, I started with the fact that Pat had an IPhone and was less then enamored with it. I also stated that I wanted to have a smart phone and the plans that would allow me to join the 21st century. He hid his contempt well and showed me the latest and greatest phones. I was soon convinced that the Motorola Atrix 4G was just the ticket for Pat and myself. An hour later I was on my way, but then a terrifying thought hit me. Pat had not seen or approved of the phones, I had chosen. My wonderful daughter, Jessica, heightened my anxiety, when she exclaimed, "Dad, you didn't buy those phones without Mom. Well I hope you have fun returning them tomorrow!" Her and Wes, her husband, had a good laugh at my discomfort. Well the joke was on them. Pat was perfectly happy with my choice and we are now in the two years process of learning how to use them. I am sure by the time our new plan expires, I will have learned to at least turn the phone on and off with considerable proficiency. I will let you all know my progress and if you could, please pray to the cell phone Gods, that they will grant me some small amount of knowledge, in phone usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment