Monday, August 15, 2011

Kindle Vs. The Newspaper

About one year ago I bought the Kindle. First off, I love this fantastic invention. When I want a new book, I go onto Amazon and buy it. Within seconds I am reading the book. What can be better then, that for a book reader, like myself? I have bought several books and am completely happy with this. My problem came from the fact that I ordered the Orlando Sentinel on the Kindle. At best it was O.K. I say alright because after 40 plus years of holding a regular newspaper in my hands, I could not get used to having a tablet sized news sheet. The grand experiment ended a couple of weeks ago when I started home delivery again. I almost cried as I held those sacred sheets of newsprint in my hands. There it was the comics, the ads and most importantly the full expanse of paper. I shook with excitement as I poured a cup of coffee, sat down in my favorite chair and opened the paper. I was in heaven again. The smell of newsprint and the paper they use. The thrill of actually having the paper in my hands. There is no other feeling like it. As good as that Saturday edition was, the next morning when I retrieved the bulky Sunday edition, was pure ecstasy. Ads in color, comics in color and the coupons. As I brushed away the tears I reminded myself that saving a few dollars may have been nice, but tradition was so much better. Keep your electronic news and information. As for me when I die, please remember to place the days newspaper in that casket with me. I want to be able to read, "Peanuts", as I go on my voyage into eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment