Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Mathnasium is the Answer!

   I remember, and at times not too fondly, my struggles with math and in particular Algebra. I had an easier time with Geometry, but the thoughts of theories can still release panic attacks.
   Helping to raise my grandson, Jayden, has placed me in the position of dredging up the ghosts of Math past. My patience can sometimes be at a premium, which does not help my grandson to learn, but probably leads to his apprehension. I am sure that Grandfathers are no different then any parent, when we start down the path of afternoon math homework.
   What is a parent to do? Along came a great idea with the unique name. Mathnasium. Jayden is in third grade and on his first report card he received a "C".  We did not want him to fall behind.
   I called and arranged an appointment to do an assessment for Jayden.  Ms. Anabel Thomas the director of Hunters Creek Mathnasium met us and while Jayden did the assessment Ms. Thomas explained the program to Pat and I. She reviewed Jayden's test and we met her again to go over the results. In general he was where he should be, we wanted him to be more at ease and even ahead. We enrolled him and success soon followed.
   The program is set up with the student in mind. We can go each day Monday through Thursday and Saturday. Jayden spends an hour at each session. It varies from doing homework, to going through his personal notebook assignments, to even playing games at the end to further enhance his Math skills. The young people that tutor him are very patient and extremely knowledgeable. Ms. Thomas or Jessica are the two that Jayden has spent the most time with.
   As with any learning program, results are what everyone is looking for. A couple of weeks ago Jayden got his second report card and the hard work of the people at Mathnasium and Jayden paid off. An "A" in math. There are side advantages for me as well. I no longer dread opening his homework folder each day and be faced with isosceles triangles or fractions. Also while he is learning Math, I sit and enjoy reading my latest book.  To Ms. Thomas, Jessica and all of the people behind Hunters Creek Mathnasium, Pat and I say,  "Thank you," and to all of the people that read my posts I say "what are you waiting for?" If a child in your life is struggling with Math get to Mathnasium and start solving your own problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment